The Transylvania Trust, responsible for the restoration and revitalisation of Bánffy Castle, Bonțida, Romania, is launching an invitation for participants to take part in a “hands-on” learning experience in the field of historic building conservation.
Transylvania Trust has been organising training projects since 2001, to address the lack of craftsmen and professionals in the field of historic building conservation. So far approximately 3000 participants from around 32 countries (Romania, Albania, Australia, Brazil, Belgium, France, Hungary, Poland, Serbia, Slovenia, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, etc.) have participated in our international training courses.
Duration of the courses
1st Module: 31st July – 13th August 2022
2nd Module: 14th – 27th August, 2022
Who can apply?
The international restoration workshop is aimed especially at undergraduate students in Architecture, Structural Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Archaeology, History of Art, and other related fields. The workshop can also be attended by craftsmen who seek to specialize in the restoration of historic buildings, but our training course is open to anybody interested in the field of historic building conservation, or who wishes to acquire practical knowledge related to traditional building crafts.
The two-week international training course offers the opportunity:
– to learn the theoretical principles and methodology of investigation and restoration from qualified lecturers, as well as traditional building craft skills through direct, “hands-on” learning,
– to work on a real restoration site along with a team of craftsmen experienced in this field and to contribute to the restoration of Bánffy Castle,
– to meet people from a variety of professional and cultural backgrounds, widening one’s understanding of the field through interdisciplinary and intercultural dialogue
At the end of the workshop, participants will receive a certificate of participation.
– Theoretical training on the first day of the workshop. The lectures delivered by qualified lecturers from Romania and abroad will be translated simultaneously to Romanian, Hungarian, and English.
– Practical training with the guidance of specialised craftsmen, focusing on 3 main areas:
1. Structural interventions in historic buildings: vault restoration, restoration of brick and stone walls, rendering (6 days), mural decorations and specialised techniques (fresco, secco, sgraffito, stucco – 2 days),
2. Traditional joinery and furniture restoration
3. Stonemasonry (only in the 2nd Module)
The course takes place on the grounds of Bánffy Castle, Bontida, Romania. This is where the accommodation and catering is also offered, as part of the registration costs.
Participants can register online or through e-mail, by sending the completed form (BHCT2022_Registration form) to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The number of available places is limited.
The registration fee is 400 euro per student (a contribution towards tuition, accommodation, and catering costs, which are offered on the castle grounds).
The deadline for application is the 29th of April 2022.
Full details of our restoration camps and our work can be found at www.transylvaniatrust.ro.
For further details please contact us at email@example.com.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
AVRAM Adela Luiza
Transylvania Trust Foundation